While Tenerife is the most populated of the Canary Islands, there are still many things one can do that are off the beaten path!
Tapas, local seafood and hiking: Discover the other side of Tenerife
Ten things you must do in Tenerife
1. Hike to the summit of El Teide, at 3,718 metres above sea level, or take the cable car to 3,500 metres.
2. Stroll along the seafront promenade that links Los Cristianos to Costa Adeje.
3. Explore the cobbled alleys and historic buildings of UNESCO World Heritage-listed La Laguna.
4. Enjoy the rides and slides at Siam Park water park.
5. Order the shellfish platter at Restaurante Los Abrigos for some of the juiciest prawns and most succulent squid you’ve ever tasted.
6. Snack on papas arrugadas (wrinkly potatoes) dipped in some mojo sauce and washed down with a Dorada beer.
7. Swim in natural rock pools at Garachico.
8. Have a drink overlooking the waters of La Caleta – try the terrace at Restaurante Masía del Mar.
9. Sunbathe on a black-sand beach beneath towering cliffs at Los Gigantes.
10. Take the ferry to La Gomera and hike through Garajonay National Park to the island’s highest point, Alto de Garajonay.